Can’t Sleep

Originally posted on Rollings In Haiti.

It’s the middle of the night and I can’t sleep. I’m wide, wide awake. My brain is just running through the things of the day and won’t stop.

Chris got a call from a friend of ours that works with USAID. It was about 11:30 am and he was calling to ask Chris to come in to a special meeting with the US military. On the phone they told him the would send a car if he didn’t have a ride. I guess they wanted him there pretty bad. The meeting was about water. They like what we’re doing and talked about having us step up production so we can help them get more water stations set up like we’re doing as a project with the military. We’ll see if that happens. Until then we’re going to just keep taking two loads of filters in a week. Chris said the captain and others that he spoke with were really great and they really respected the work we’re doing here. We appreciate it when people value the time that we have on the ground and the expertise we can offer. Usually meetings like this are full of people from the outside thinking their methods work better and they don’t want to listen to what you have to say, so this was refreshing I think. We’ll see what happens from here.

I love random moments that in the end aren’t so random. Yesterday afternoon after Chris left, about 12:30, a pick-up pulled into the lane in front of the mission and parked, but stayed running. Our guard talked to them, but didn’t come get me. The truck stayed. I started to get curious after a few minutes and I saw the guard talk to them again. I went outside and the guard told me it was the cousin of one of our neighbors and good friend a couple doors down. He was just parked there waiting for a friend to arrive. I decided to go down and introduce myself. We got to talking, and I mentioned the filters. The guy and his fiance wanted to see them, so we went into the filter yard, I explained etc. We had a good visit and were handing out phone numbers because his fiances family runs a water company in Port and they wanted to let us know they could bring water into some of the areas where we’re setting up water stations if people doing have water to run through the filters. I asked them what businesses were opening up in Port – banks etc – just to get some first hand info. Our biggest thing right now is that we need our bank to open so we can have access to funds. They gave me an update, and in the course of that mentioned car dealerships were opening. I asked if they knew anyone at the Mitsubishi dealer and explained we needed a truck. We had been trying to track down a phone number so we could get some info about when they were opening and what they had in stock. Turns out they know the owners and were going to call for us to connect us! Chris has been pacing around here stressing out about that and these people just show up in our driveway. Not so random :)

One of the main reasons I’m awake is that I keep thinking about our adoption. I feel that something BIG is going to happen for us, and possibly really soon.

We have been in contact with everyone we can be and on Saturday night I got a connect with a person through our main Embassy contact here in Haiti. Her email was brief in the sense that it basically said she wasn’t sure what the process was, right now they’re focusing on kids that were at the immigration stage etc, and recommended we contact our home province to see if they can be of assistance. I knew that would go nowhere because we aren’t living in Canada and aren’t working through our home province. I wrote an email back, explained our situation in detail, where exactly we were at, that this week we would have our dossier in hand and that we have even taken steps on the citizenship end of things and been approved (part of Canada’s new process). I was feeling discouraged. I felt like we’d hit a wall and that I was going to get the run around. You know, the “please contact so-and-so” then so and so tells you they can’t help but you should try what’s-his-name, and then keep going around in circles. Really feeling discouraged.

We had a missionary meeting yesterday afternoon and I shared where things were at for us with our adoption and how I was feeling. We all prayed about it, finished up and everyone went home. I checked my email and almost started crying when I saw the email from the same contact from the night before. They had written me back in the process of forwarding our inquiry on to say that by receiving that email we could consider our file on the list for those needing review to see if they can be expedited. I have an email address for those responsible for that review. We are in.

I’m stuck in between feeling like it’s all surreal and not wanting to get excited, and feeling really hopeful. Maybe something will happen. Mabye. And thus the not sleeping.

Yesterday we also prayer for Peter and Sara, that God would all help us to have patience as we sit in limbo and wait for the right opportunity for them to fly in. We have had a couple of leads, but things went dead over the weekend. Then I checked my email and something went live again. If things work out they could be here Wednesday. Wow, would we love that.

God is answering prayer, very specifically. If you would like to keep praying for us, here are some very specific ways you can do that:

  • Pray that our bank opens and we have access to funds again for running the mission and to purchase the truck.
  • Pray that we can connect with the dealership, and the EXACT truck that we need is available and that we can put a hold on it if all the money hasn’t arrived yet.
  • Pray that our adoption MOVES. Like I said, I feel something very BIG is waiting in the wings for us. It’s just a matter of time.
  • Pray that details for Peter and Sara getting here work out.

Time to get some shut eye.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s